St. John’s now 0-8 in Big East after double OT loss
Jan 22, 2018 | 4568 views | 0 0 comments | 244 244 recommendations | email to a friend | print
The St. John’s men’s basketball team dropped its first double-overtime contest since 2014 on Saturday, falling on the road to Georgetown, 93-89.

Leading by five with 24 seconds remaining in the first overtime period, the Johnnies (10-10, 0-8 Big East) saw Georgetown erase the deficit with a 6-1 spurt before the Hoyas (13-6, 3-5) scored the first six points of the second extra stanza to pull away at home.

With eight straight losses to open conference play, head coach Chris Mullin said it’s getting harder to stay optimistic.

“It’s definitely a test,” he said. “We got to keep battling, work through it, believe in each other, keep the faith, stay diligent, and we’ll get there.”

The Red Storm appeared to have victory in its grasps toward the end of the first extra period, but let a five-point lead slip away in the final 24 seconds.

Marcus Derrickson closed the stanza on a personal 6-1 run, draining a three-ball with three seconds remaining, knotting the contest at 79.

Mullin was asked after the game if he would have liked to foul Derrickson before he could get the game-tying shot off.

“Not coming out of a timeout, it’s kind of hard to get these guys’ attention on the way up, but ideally yeah,” he said. “Philosophically, yeah I like to foul in that situation. We couldn’t get the message over there coming off the free throw.”

Shamorie Ponds tallied his second 30-point effort in the team’s last three outings, scoring 33 points to go along with eight assists, six rebounds and three steals.

The Brooklyn native made 12 of his 23 tries from the floor and three of his seven attempts from three-point range.

Before fouling out in the first overtime period, Tariq Owens netted 17 points on 8-of-14 shooting. The Big East’s leading shot blocker also added three swats and seven rebounds.

Marvin Clark II tallied 15 points and four rebounds, sinking three triples in the process. Also finishing in double figures for the Johnnies was Bashir Ahmed, who chipped in 11 points and six boards.

Justin Simon registered eight points, 10 rebounds, seven assists, four steals and two blocks. The effort marked his sixth of the season with double-digit boards.

St. John’s was scheduled to return to action on Tuesday, playing host to Creighton at 8:30 p.m. at Carnesecca Arena.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet